Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Penny Table top

Wednesday brings a couple of busy days before the weekend.

We have the contractors starting today to reinstall the tile in the master bathroom shower.  We had a leak one month after the shower was installed.  Turns out the shower pan had been installed incorrectly, and they now have their 'best' installer doing the job.  This is a picture of the first try.  They get a chance to correct the wrong grout color, and incorrectly layed out pebble tile.   Not so happy about the waterfall that was in the kitchen, but glad they are going to remedy the mistakes.

Here is one of my projects I worked on while they remodeled the shower, A penny table.


The first step was finding a company who sold the round table blanks.  I found this at a site named http://www.readytocover.com/.

The second step was to paint the top black and install the edge banding to keep the mirror coat over the top of the pennies. 


 Then I spent a couple of days super gluing down each individual penny.  If I hadn't done this, the pennies would have floated in the mirror coat.  I opted to clean the pennies once I had glued them down.  I quick clean with Maas did did the trick.  There are $20 worth of pennies on this 38" round top.  The Mirror coat is a pretty cool newer product that doesn't yellow as fast, and is harder than the typical bar top epoxy.  I really liked it.


I thought I would give you a glimpse of the new stockings I made for the new mantel.






1 comment:

  1. Love this idea, want to try this on my own table,don't know what a mirror coat is,could you please please tell me products used and step by step instructions thank you

    ReplyDelete